Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Next Blog Button


The first year I introduced my fourth grade students to blogging I was operating a pilot program. I had to meet with several district personnel to outline how I was going to blog, benefits to students, etc. Once I had approval I was pretty much on my own with the understanding I was going to document and share my year with other teachers.

I decided to use blogger despite the multitude of other blogging platforms out there because it was fast to set up and easy to use and I wanted to get started right away.

Mid-year an article was written about our adventures in blogging and teachers who had been thinking about blogging wanted to jump in.

The district decided to make an official blogging policy for the new year and the first change was that we couldn't use blogger. When asked the biggest concern was the "next blog" button across the top. Apparently if you hit it enough times you will eventually be taken to an inappropriate site (I have not tried it but I have no doubt that it is true).

This led me on a search as to how to get rid of that "next blog" button. Finally I found this great online article that very clearly explained how to get rid of it. I've used it on this blog, since it will be linked on my district website but left it on my Science Notebooking site to show viewers what it looks like.

If you are planning to use blogger.com in any educational setting, or if you know children will be using your site, go ahead and remove that "Next Blog" button for peace of mind. It is easy to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment