Tuesday, September 14, 2010

YouTube Downloader


I use a YouTube downloader quite a bit to download songs or snippets of videos related to the subject I am teaching. There are several kinds of YouTube downloaders but I like the one here.

We (the teachers...not the students) have access to YouTube at school however it is dicey at best to try and stream from YouTube. If there isn't enough broadband width the video will stop and start as it buffers. Sometimes the advertising bar along the bottom pops up with inappropriate ads for the classroom. The YouTube downloader eliminates this and is easy to use.

I always use it at home since my internet is faster. Above is screen shot of what it looks like on my desktop and as I open it up. I simply copy and paste the address of the video I want to use and tell it where to download it on my computer. It will download it as an MP4 file. I can play an MP4 at school but most of the time I convert it to a WMV (Windows Media Video) so I can embed the video in my Promethean flip charts. To covert it you would use the same YouTube downloader and tell it to convert the video (look at the screen shot above - under "what do you want to do?" you have two choices "download" or "convert").

Most recently I downloaded several video/songs from YouTube that were made up to teach the scientific method. I had taught my version of the scientific method (with fun hand gestures) and then showed students all the other versions I had found. They had to compare my version with those from other teachers. It was great to show that students all over the country, and across grade levels, were learning the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment